Author Topic: Showing up  (Read 191 times)

Showing up
« on: May 29, 2019, 01:35:38 PM »
Reading books and topics about personal growth I often find this idiomatic from american english.

For example:
Show up - and be consistent.

Or:
If you'll just commit to showing up that's half the battle right there.

So could anyone explain what EXACTLY means "to show up" in the above sense?

Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: kav

UnlikelySam

Re: Showing up
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »
Astutillo that's a nice idiom... "To Show up" the way I relate the meaning is to attempt to tackle a problem or task ; to make yourself present that's the 1st step to resolve problem ; half the solution. You are halfway there etc etc...

Another nice one similar is "It's better to try and fail than fail to try "  :)

The following users thanked this post: Astutillo, fiben7

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
It makes complete sense.
Thank you Sam

The following users thanked this post: UnlikelySam, fiben7

Third

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:51:50 AM »
I am 100% English speaking my whole life and I will explain this phrase but first I seriously want to commend you fellas for being at least bi-lingual; it takes a higher level of intelligence to speak more than one language.

SHOW UP = means to simply be where you are supposed to be.  When people say "90% of the battle is showing up", they generally are referring to work and they simply mean clocking in at the proper time; i.e. to simply SHOW UP to work -- to simply arrive there.

If someone doesn't show up to work that means they didn't arrive and nobody saw them.  It basically means "to appear" or "make an appearance"; i.e. "to SHOW themselves".

The idea in the self-help books is that its not so much the talent we have but the fact that we are willing to be there regularly when we are supposed to be that is the majority of what is required for success.

Feel free to reach out with any other confusing English phrases because I enjoy speaking about it and I know how crazy English is; probably your primary languages are better!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 01:57:08 AM by Third »

The following users thanked this post: UnlikelySam, Astutillo, fiben7

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 04:56:24 AM »
Excellent answer Third, much appreciated.
Thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Third