Author Topic: Managing the Unmanageable  (Read 373 times)

vitorwally

Managing the Unmanageable
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:54:47 PM »
There are moments when we are delivered with a burst of ideas, assumptions, theories, tweaks, ... you call it, but we cannot do anything relevant with them because most of the time the whole set is too overwhelming. Such eye-opening moments usually leave us with too much info to process and eventually we lose track of the most valuable findings. Today I read an article about problem solving and I thought it could be useful to share some points and guidelines here. The following paragraphs are edited to make more sense here in the roulette context.

The approach is to first subdivide the problem into smaller and more specific areas which we then divide into actual to-solve-tasks.

To identify these areas, we can for instance ask ourselves:
- what parts of the larger problem can I do by myself and which parts am I dependent on others for doing?
- what easy and what difficult tasks are hiding in the big one?
- what small, quick tasks and what larger, more complicated and time-consuming tasks are hidden in the larger task?
- which are the first, natural steps to take right now, and which steps should definitely be taken later on? (don't forget as well the steps to avoid)

Choose a way to sub-divide the problem according to categories appropriate to the task, and again take a look at the task, but now keep the question or areas in mind.

Write down whatever comes to mind as to-solve-tasks on your to-do-list, unless you do them immediately. It will definitely be easier to get going now, and you will be at least one or a few steps closer to achieving the larger goal that has been in the back of your mind for a while.

MickyP

Re: Managing the Unmanageable
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:37:53 PM »
Your quote sounds familiar. Will you mind sharing where you referenced these words from?

vitorwally

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:55:15 PM »
No problem.
Here's the link: stiernholm[dot]com/en/blog/how-to-divide-a-large-task-into-smaller-pieces
It's actually funny since I was not googling "efficiency consulting" but ended up landing on it.

The following users thanked this post: MickyP

MickyP

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 12:12:43 AM »
Thanks, he talks about structure and efficiency.
Building structure one bit at a time is the basics of planning. It is true that if perception is scaled down then it can more easily be understood and managed.

Thanks for a nice post.