Author Topic: "The Great Wall of China". Short story by Franz Kafka  (Read 2176 times)

Dane

"The Great Wall of China". Short story by Franz Kafka
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »
Original title: "Beim Bau der chinesischen Mauer".
Litteraly "During the construction of The Great Wall of China".
While written in 1917 it was not published until 1930 seven years after his death.
Contained within the stort is a parable that was separately published as "A message from the Emperor" ("Eine kaiserliche Botschaft") in 1919 in the collection ein Landartzt (A country Doctor).
Some subthemes of the story include why the Wall was build pieacemeal (in small sections in many different places), the relationship of the Chinese with the past and the present, and the Emperor´s imperceptible presence.
I heard it on the radio in my youth. One of these subthemes impressed me. Much later Marco Polo wrote THE INVISIBLE CITIES. This novel explores imagination and the imaginable through the descriptions of cities by an explorer, Marco Polo, and his conversations with Kublai Khan.

Calvino´s tone and style is, to say the least, miles from Franz Kafka. One fantastic theory in Kafka´s short story , however, was just as wild as many of the invisible cities: Maybe the Wall was thought to be just the beginning of the building of a PYRAMID?

Dictators and walls come and go.

mr j

Re: "The Great Wall of China". Short story by Franz Kafka
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
Yes, I realize where this was going. Listen, I am for *ANY* solution to keeping out illegals from my country. It does not have to be a wall per say BUT show me something better. The MOST effective idea of keeping ILLEGALS out of MY country gets my vote AND my appreciation. and forget about the check points. I'm asking in terms of open land (or river). How to keep them OUT?

thomasleor

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »

When it comes to Trump´s less wiser choices of building a wall, the thing is, that once the big earthquake of >9 on the Richter scale  comes to California (and it will considering the USGS data shows on a vastly increased quake activity the past year),or, and this is the real scary possibility, the Yellowstone super volcano goes, then all in the south west will find themselves SHUT IN, once they panic and head for the south border. The obstacle will not only be the wall itself (if ever built), but the political resistance from the Mexicans now turning the wall on the Americans as a reason to say NO.

Is this a comical situation that perhaps shows the irony of short sighted political decisions that fight humantarian reality? Perhaps it is, perhaps it is not. In any case, the outcome, whatever the choice, becomes a tragedy for either part once the wall is built.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:27:33 PM by thomasleor »

mr j

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
and all I'm saying, some one show me a better proven way of keeping people out and I will be on board 100%.

MickyP

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
The wall is not to keep Mexicans out who cross the boarder daily (legally). It is to assist boarder control in keeping out illegal immigrants. There are currently an estimated 20 million illegal immigrants in the USA.
The United States allocates billions of dollars annually towards foreign aid.
The wall will be a benefit to Mexico as well because without it (the wall) going through Mexico is the easiest root into the US.
Mexico is a big trading partner of the US and I'm sure they also see the benefits that the wall will provide.

President Trump has done well for the US and there is concern about security in the country. He is doing everything in his power to keep Americans safe in their own country.
They say sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and this I find true. Open boarders and sanctuary cities have no place in modern society.
The one rule every person should follow is to respect the rules/laws of the territory you are in. The US says "Do not enter the United States illegally but you are welcome through legal channels" and no person is discriminated upon based on skin colour, religion etc.  What is so difficult about respecting laws?

thomasleor

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
The wall is not to keep Mexicans out who cross the boarder daily (legally). It is to assist boarder control in keeping out illegal immigrants. There are currently an estimated 20 million illegal immigrants in the USA.
The United States allocates billions of dollars annually towards foreign aid.
The wall will be a benefit to Mexico as well because without it (the wall) going through Mexico is the easiest root into the US.
Mexico is a big trading partner of the US and I'm sure they also see the benefits that the wall will provide.

President Trump has done well for the US and there is concern about security in the country. He is doing everything in his power to keep Americans safe in their own country.
They say sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and this I find true. Open boarders and sanctuary cities have no place in modern society.
The one rule every person should follow is to respect the rules/laws of the territory you are in. The US says "Do not enter the United States illegally but you are welcome through legal channels" and no person is discriminated upon based on skin colour, religion etc.  What is so difficult about respecting laws?

Interesting view which shows that you understood zero of what I suggested Ken to ponder.

Btw. You forgot to end your comment with "Zieg Heil", or the equivalent salute in your dear old Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging.

MickyP

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Thomasleor, I know what you suggested to Ken; natural disasters that may force the American people south.
I did touch on this by stating that both Mexico and the United States will benefit from a completed wall. You obviously believe like Nancy that the wall is immoral. She also supports abortion and that's a contentious subject to say the least. The wall is not to punish or restrict Mexicans from entering the US legally.
Why don't you comment on people who disrespect laws? Should there be no consequences for breaking immigration laws by entering a country illegally?

You really do have me all wrong but I won't bother with your stupid remarks about me being a Nazi or whatever.
Get out of your sci-fi seat and enjoy the real world.

MickyP

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »
Thomasleor you seem to know an awful lot about South Africa that most people are not aware of.
Are you an ex-South African, maybe a conscientious objector who spent national service time in military jail and was dishonorably discharged giving you zero opportunity to get employed by the majority of companies at that time? You must hate South Africans for a reason and you do seem very bitter almost to the point of still wanting revenge.

If this is the case and you feel you missed an opportunity in your youth and are now too old to play real Rambo then I understand why you have this military mentality with your game. I really have no issues with you but please just be honest with yourself. It will set you free.

thomasleor

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 08:33:46 PM »
Thomasleor you seem to know an awful lot about South Africa that most people are not aware of.
Are you an ex-South African, maybe a conscientious objector who spent national service time in military jail and was dishonorably discharged giving you zero opportunity to get employed by the majority of companies at that time? You must hate South Africans for a reason and you do seem very bitter almost to the point of still wanting revenge.

If this is the case and you feel you missed an opportunity in your youth and are now too old to play real Rambo then I understand why you have this military mentality with your game. I really have no issues with you but please just be honest with yourself. It will set you free.

Hahaha...nice one.

Sorry, but I am born and raised in Sweden. Worked internationally, US, Japan, China and a few countries in Africa -  for a number of Wallenberg owned high tech companies, of which one was in Johannesburg in the 80s.

Saw enough of your violent nazi-brotherhood to recognize your alt right views on human life.

Politically I am Conservative Lite, in the military I served in the air force with honors, and of course, sorry I have been enough in the States to not be a Pelosi fan, but neither am I a fan of an idiot who doesn´t even know the  United States Constitution (which every American President knew from Nixon to Washington)  much less the origin of all civil rights.

The imbecile can barely express himself, or finish a sentence without expressing a large amount of idiosyncrasies that makes a child in elementary school blush with pride of being smarter.

And yes I love my 1200 euro computer chair, but then you must suffer from sitting on the floor typing on that keyboard. Swaksinnige.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:35:50 PM by thomasleor »

mr j

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
For both parties, always remember,,,,,,there are TWO main issues. SOCIAL issues & ECONOMIC issues and the two do not always pair up properly. Example being >> I know quite a few liberals that attend the Christian church every Sunday and thats awesome. However, the church does teach, no abortion and we already KNOW where most (not all) of the left sit on this subject. So, would anyone here find that to be inconsistent going to Sunday mass?

Ken

MickyP

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
Thomasleor, You have a better chair than I do and I say maybe you need a better chair, after all that is where you spend most of life.

You branded me because I support President Trump. I have not expressed Nazi like comments on this forum nor have I expressed any type of white supremacy comments on the forum. You think all South Africans are the same. Sad.
You are free to insult the President of the United States and I am free to insult you but I will get no pleasure from it. However, I have to say that you do have some serious reality issues to deal with and if you do not seek help then at least help yourself by exercising now and then. Go for a walk and have conversations with people, listen to real voices...

Ken, it is Gods word not to willfully abort so you should honour his word. Praising him but not respecting his word is inconsistent. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 09:51:35 PM by MickyP »

The following users thanked this post: mr j

Dane

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 12:05:14 PM »
"It´s easy to see without looking to far that not much is really sacred".
Recently a more mature, a more sane and politically experienced person, Nancy Pelosi, has handled Mr. Trump as he ought to be handled. This might not improve him or his followers, but....
"We don´t want no thought control".

thomasleor

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »
You mean something like this?

DrTalos

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »
There are a lot of silliness in this threat, IMO.
  I remind you that Slavery was legal, and an acceptable way to move to US (in chain and through ships). And was illegal free them.
  Was also legal deport and kill humans during Hitler's reign, and was illegal trying to save them (they kill rightfully you on the spot).
  In South Africa, was legal for a small minority of white have complete access to resources while blacks where second (third? Fourth?) class citizens...
  Please don't use legal in your argument.

A human being cannot be illegal. An action is illegal. So someone pushing at a border, seking asylum, is not illegal. Can be undocumented, like the vast majority of "illegal" resident in US (for the most part people overstaying their visa), and for them you don't need a wall, or a border security, but better laws, and cheaper immigration process.
  I can't believe that intelligent people can accept any idiotic words from this repellent President. It is a disgrace that he is in the position, but is even more disgraceful that people nowadays have lost so much of moral values, and judgment, to vote or approve anything he does and say.

The following users thanked this post: Dane, Rinad

Rinad

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »

yes Mr Talos I could not agree more. and when you use the word 'intelligent people" there needs to be a whole new definition of the word intelligent. 
we can fly to the moon but we dont know how to be happy, go figure.
built a great wall but cant be kind to others.
can make billions of dollars but have not anderstood that true blessings comes from the power of giving and not just taking, go figure.
one thing for sure the cycle of our 80 years living cycle has to end for everyone and no one can escape that. only fools like this president and others like "Caius Caligula" believed some how that they would still enjoy their posessions in their next lives as Gods themselves. they would without thinking easily pick the most "shiny gold like looking Holy grail cup" as oposed to the Cup made from the hands of a Carpenter.

Rinad

The following users thanked this post: Dane