Author Topic: Are we living in a simulation?  (Read 1427 times)

Scarface

Are we living in a simulation?
« on: June 19, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
Anyone believe we are living in a simulated reality? Like the matrix? There are strong philosophical arguments that suggest we are.

At least one of the following statements must be true:
1. The human species will become extinct before reaching a "posthuman" stage;
2. No posthuman civilization will run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history;
3. We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/11/simulated-world-elon-musk-the-matrix
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:50:04 PM by Scarface »

The following users thanked this post: kav

MrPerfect.

Re: Are we living in a simulation?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
And what do you think about this sabject?

Scarface

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »
I think it is a good possibility we are.  Most people think in linear or gradual terms when it comes to technology.  But technology is experiencing rapid exponential growth!  If anyone is interested in the subject, check out Ray Kurzweil's book "The Singularity."  He predicts AI will be on human level and pass Turing test by 2029.  And the technology singularity, where AI surpasses all human knowledge, will be on track for 2045.

Unless someone thinks that consciousness is some magical or supernatural thing, then it should be replicated at some point.  Not only replicated, but duplicated, even uploaded to the cloud. 

There has been billions of dollars out in to government and private studies to reverse engineer the brain...all the way down to the cellular level.

Unless mankind destroys itself, it will happen.  The when is hard to say...but many in the field believe as soon as the next 20 years. 

But how would we know that it hasn't happened already.  Elon Musk says that the odds of us actually living now in "base reality" are probably billions to one. 

Scarface

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:41:26 PM »
Many probably want to discredit the simulation hypothesis, because it don't feel right.  But we can't always trust how things seem to be.  Einstein proved that the world is relative.  Everything from weight, size, mass, and time are all dependent on speed.  There is no absolutes in physics.  Quantum physics goes on to prove that our observations directly affect our environment. 

The world of absolutes, and materialism, are all but gone in physics.  The world is indeed a strange place and the simulation theory sounds very possible to me.  :)

Trilobite

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »
I would say statement 1 is the most likely followed by statement 2 being the next most likely.

I mean if we as a race did survive long enough to become posthuman, what possible need would we have of running simulations about when we were a bunch of dumbasses?

GIAJJENNO

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:46:00 PM »
Okey, its interesting, but where is the simulation exactly, on what are this simulation exactly, who simulated it and for what, how, and how is it began...personally I dont think that we are living in simulation, because happens such an impossible things, that even any complete simulation can not do this. Or when I goto bed in evening, I am simulated, or my whole life? By who?

MrPerfect.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 11:56:13 PM »
You do it. This simulation is performed by yourself , Gia...
   Think how your brain creates your reality with senses avaliable being just impulses of electrical nature. Long ego , before knowing words you agreed with others that " table " is table, "green" is green , "square" is square and that "green thing" on the land is called " grass"... besides other things. Everyone is creator of his own reality. Brain just gets electric impulses from receptors. Morze alphabet of a kind...

Scarface

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 12:02:00 AM »
I would say statement 1 is the most likely followed by statement 2 being the next most likely.

I mean if we as a race did survive long enough to become posthuman, what possible need would we have of running simulations about when we were a bunch of dumbasses?

Statement 1 says we won't survive to that point.  But with exponential growth in technology, estimates now say we could be at that point in 20 years.  We're beginning to scratch the surface on certain functions of the brain....computer chips in parkinsons patients.  Computer chips have helped blind see again.  At some point, reverse engineering will make it possible to know 100% how the brain functions and replicate it on silicon or some other medium.

Maybe it's already happened.  There would be no way to know.  Just think of watching a movie on DVD.  What's the odds that you are the first person to ever view this movie, when there are millions of other copies out there. 

I believe that the technology will be here sooner than people can comprehend.  Quantum computers are coming, along with AI and advances in augmented and virtual reality.

Why would we need to run simulations? Maybe we choose to.  Maybe when this simulation is over, we choose another in a different time or place.  Who knows?  Hard to predict what our intentions would be when we become super intelligent.  It's like trying to explain calculus to a snail.

Scarface

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 12:09:36 AM »
Exactly Mr Perfect!  Our brains create a reality that dont exist, so in a way we're already living in a fictitious simulation.  Just don't know if it's one of our own choosing...or God...or future technology.

We see colors, shapes, hear sounds, smell scents.  None of this exist without consciousness.  A tree does not make a noise if no one is there to hear it.  Grass is not green.  Apples are not sweet.

Think of another species or alien entity that is alot different from us.  Maybe an alien would see grass as what we would describe as red.  The greenness is not a property of grass....our brain creates this simulation.  This goes for everything we experience with our senses. 

Physics tells us that the universe is a quantum field.  Material objects dont exist.  Neither do shapes.  There are no absolutes.  Not even time is absolute

mr j

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 02:11:48 AM »
......and that's why, its a real real short list.

heatmap

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:31 AM »
Your brain is an organic simulation

Scarface

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »
"What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain."  --Morpheus, The Matrix
Great movie!

Rinad

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

interesting topic.  I can only speak from personal experience. outside this body of ours time stops. I had one of those outside/ near death experience once. will always remember it and it changed my life.
my whole life was set before me, as a movie, people ect..... all is recorded. I know that for sure. when we imagine the future we simulate something that has allready happend in the future but not in the present yet.
we absorb everything around us via-conciousness at all time. nothing is left without being printed.
plants are living thing. they do the same.
a ibogaine tree found in africa can prove it. check this out.
Ibogaine is a root from a tree used in different parts of the country to detox "drug addicts".
illigal in america because it competes too much with medications sold here,ect...
you can take it and within 12 hours be tottaly cured. it resets parts of the brain, delete all "bad-past traumas", and takes you to child-hood moments when traumas were created and happend. all gets reset and you are now clear. incredible thing.
going back to the ibogaine tree, everyone who have taken it experience the similar things, like earing drum beats, seen natives with painted faces dancing and coming at you real close, ect.... scary stuff yes. but here is the point.
why would we all ear and see similar things???
this Ibga tree has been sitting for centuries in the dark forest. it has seen all of it. heard the drums seen the dancing, the faces ,ect.....and it absorbed the WHOLE THING!!!
its memorie cells are living and kept and reproducing themselves all the time and DO NOT DIE.
so when a person like you and I eat the iboga root, it brakes itself down after we swallow it and guess what?
we are actually experiencing the pictures, earing drums, having part of its memories because it is now inside us. the plant releases all of it and we now have became "one with it".
some of you are probably thinking now,lol, "this guy is way out there".
that is okay. but I found it incredible that what a tree has experienced hundreds of years ago can have a simulation that can be transfered and re-lived. 
everything we do, all that we feel, all that we said, all that we fight, all that we love, all that we hate,  is all our lives will ever be.   (dark side of the moon/pink floyd).
thanks for reading.
God bless

heatmap

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
i think the answer to this is yes if i take my last answer as truth... your brain is "stitching" together the external variables that it interprets into one experience which is only in our minds... so yes WE as in you or me are living, and our brains simulate, or interpret everything into ONE experience... i have always said this and am pretty sure i said it in another thread... you are not you... you are billions of cells working in unison

although i dont think everyones experience is unique so to say but this is because two or more people can describe the same experience separately if needed which is why we know that we arent imagining the earth or anything outside of our minds

Scarface

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:00:05 AM »
Ronald, if that is true that's pretty awesome!  Reminds me of the tree in Avatar...maybe that's what they based it on